Evening and Weekend Services and Operations Manager / Supervisor 2
Access Services, Sterling Memorial Library/Bass Library
New Haven, CT
Salary Grade: 22
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week); Sunday (11:30 am – 8:00 pm), Monday-Thursday (1:30-10:00 pm)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
The University and the Library
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and is a highly valued partner in the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including more than 12.5 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaged in numerous digital initiatives designed to provide access to a full array of scholarly information. Housed in the Sterling Memorial Library and fifteen school and departmental libraries, it employs a dynamic, diverse, and innovative staff of over 500 who have the opportunity to work with the highest caliber of faculty and students, participate on committees, and are involved in other areas of staff development.
The Evening and Weekend Services and Operations Manager provides oversight and managerial functions for Access Services activities at Sterling Memorial Library and Bass Library. The Manager oversees front-line services and operations activities in the evenings, ensuring continuity between daytime and evening access services functions. The Manager is expected to foster an environment of teamwork, collaboration and innovation in a fast-paced service oriented department.
1. Manages the daily work of the Front Lines Services team to ensure efficiency and effectiveness of access services operations, including provision of information services, privileges, circulation of library materials including media equipment, resource sharing, retrievals and deliveries, scanning operations, and all related services.
2. Supervises 3 FTE Clerical and Technical staff and students. Hires, trains, coaches, and evaluates staff and student assistants. Motivates staff and is responsible for ensuring high quality public services and productivity.
3. Develops, recommends and participates in planning and implementation of new policies and innovative services, and interprets policies for staff. Writes documentation and revises the staff policies and procedures manual.
4. Responsible for process and workflow improvement, including investigating technologies to successfully accomplish the work of the department. Responsible for trouble-shooting technical and software issues. As appropriate assists with relations and negotiations with other departments.
5. Schedules staff hours. Ensures service desk coverage during holidays, recess periods, and occasions of inclement weather.
6. Ensures that the physical library is an inviting and welcoming space for visitors. Works with University Security to guarantee the safety of patrons, staff and collections, and ensures that proper security measures are followed. Works closely with Facilities when necessary to maintain a safe and functional environment in the evenings and weekend hours.
7. May also participate and coordinate the activities of other related services and operations in conjunction with other units such as the Library Shelving Facility and West Campus operations.
8. Required to work occasional holidays and recess days.
9. Maybe required to assist in disaster recovery operations.
10. May be assigned to work at the West Campus Yale University located in West Haven, CT.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Works closely with the Department Head and with a team of supervisors to ensure consistency in service quality, policy interpretation, training, procedures, etc.
2. Motivates and coaches staff, deliver and improve services, positively influence reader expectations of library services and access to collections.
3. Provides back up as needed to others in the supervisory team
4. Recruits, hires, trains, and administers discipline as necessary.
5. Supervises and works closely with a team of student assistants.
6. Serves as one of the unit’s expert users of computers and software applications.
7. Participates in library-wide committees as appropriate and consults and works with staff outside of the department.
8. Interprets and enforces library policies; responds to non-routine inquiries from patrons; resolves difficulties whenever possible.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in a related field and three years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills and Abilities
1. Demonstrated ability to successfully lead and work with a team of public services staff. Demonstrated ability to work independently, collaboratively, and flexibly in a diverse work environment.
2. Demonstrated experience in participating in the planning and implementing new services and workflow efficiencies. Demonstrated experience in providing superior customer service to both external and internal customers.
3. Excellent computer hardware and software skills, including demonstrated proficiency in multiple Microsoft Office applications, email and internet applications.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills in a constantly changing technology-oriented environment.
5. Demonstrated ability to analyze data, prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines. Experience in analyzing disparate statistical information and producing reports ensuring that benchmarks are both set and met on a consistent basis.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
1. Two (2) years of experience working in academic libraries.
2. Experience with library softwares such as Voyager, ILLiad, Docutek, or Ares.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration – the STARS req ID for this position is 19761BRPlease be sure to reference #19761BR in your cover letter.
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.