Assistant Director of Collection Development
Yale University Library
New Haven, CT
Rank: Librarian 2-4
Schedule: Full-time (37.5 hours per week); Standard Work Schedule (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include two major art museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
THE UNIVERSITY AND THE LIBRARY
The Yale University Library, as one of the world’s leading research libraries, collects, organizes, preserves, and provides access to and services for a rich and unique record of human thought and creativity. It fosters intellectual growth and is a highly valued partner in the teaching and research missions of Yale University and scholarly communities worldwide. A distinctive strength is its rich spectrum of resources, including more than 12.5 million volumes and information in all media, ranging from ancient papyri to early printed books to electronic databases. The Library is engaged in numerous digital initiatives designed to provide access to a full array of scholarly information. Housed in the Sterling Memorial Library and fifteen school and departmental libraries, it employs a dynamic, diverse, and innovative staff of over 500 who have the opportunity to work with the highest caliber of faculty and students, participate on committees, and are involved in other areas of staff development. For additional information on the Yale University Library, please visit the Library’s web site at http://www.library.yale.edu.
The Yale University Library seeks an innovative librarian with an entrepreneurial ethos and a team-oriented approach to problem solving to fill a key operational position in its collection management structure. Reporting to the Director of Collection Development, the Assistant Director of Collection Development will manage funds and provide oversight for collections management procedures as the library works to meet the teaching, research and learning mission of Yale University in a rapidly changing environment. The professional in this position will work with key stakeholders across the Yale University Library system, including subject specialists and staff from access services, technical services and library systems to articulate and implement collection management policies that best utilize library resources in an increasingly digital information environment.
1. Manages central collection development funds under the direction of the Director of Collection Development, including negotiating deals with vendors, soliciting the counsel of the Collections Steering Committee (CSC) and selectors to inform purchase decisions.
2. Implements a regular reporting structure for use of central funds to ensure transparency and compliance with university fiscal management guidelines.
3. Works with selectors, collection managers, technical services, and assessment staff to devise criteria, including statistical metrics, to create a data-driven approach to inform library acquisitions and cancellation decisions.
4. Manages the internal training and education program for staff with collection development responsibilities.
5. Serves as a member of the License Review team.
6. Leads initiatives and special projects as assigned by the Director of Collection Development.
7. May represent the Yale University Library at meetings related to collection-building activities.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited Library school and two years of related experience. In selected instances, a post-graduate degree in a related discipline may be required or substituted for an MLS. Appointment to this rank is limited to three years at which time it is expected that the individual will develop necessary requirements to meet expectations of performance at the Librarian 3 level.
1. Demonstrated ability to manage budgets, correspond and negotiate with vendors and publishers with regard to the acquisition of library materials.
2. Demonstrated ability to work with an integrated library management system.
3. Demonstrated ability in collection development methods and knowledge of academic publishing practices and trends.
4. Demonstrated ability to design and manage projects, bringing them to a successful conclusion.
5. Demonstrated excellent analytical skills. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to work collaboratively across organizational units. Excellent quantitative skills and demonstrated proficiency in Excel.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills
Experience working with faculty, selecting materials, and business/accounting expertise.
Salary and Benefits
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country’s great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Applications consisting of a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references should be sent by creating an account and applying online at http://www.yale.edu/jobs for immediate consideration – the STARS req ID for this position is 19982BR. Please be sure to reference #19982BR in your cover letter.
BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit http://www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.