Science Reference Librarian Job Announcement
Auburn University, a land-grant institution with an enrollment of more than 24,000 students, invites applications for a twelve-month tenure-track position as a science reference librarian with responsibilities for Biological Sciences, Forestry and Wildlife Sciences and Mathematics. The Auburn University Libraries belong to the Association of Research Libraries, house a collection of more than three million volumes, and administer a materials budget of $5.8 million. Auburn is a small, friendly university town located on the beautiful plains of eastern Alabama, about 50 miles east of Montgomery, Alabama’s capital, and 115 miles southwest of Atlanta, Georgia. Other nearby cities are Birmingham, Alabama (110 miles northwest) and Columbus, Georgia (35 miles east). Auburn University Libraries are committed to the ongoing professional development of library faculty.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES: Auburn University Libraries seek a knowledgeable and dynamic reference librarian to:
Provide general and subject reference assistance in biological sciences, forestry and wildlife sciences and mathematics.
Serve as liaison and provide outreach to highly ranked graduate and undergraduate programs in the Departments of Mathematics and Biological Sciences in the College of Sciences and Mathematics
Serve as liaison and provide outreach to highly ranked graduate and undergraduate programs in the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences
Participate in and develop specialized information literacy instruction for biological sciences, forestry and wildlife sciences and mathematics.
Engage in collection development and management in biological sciences, forestry and wildlife sciences and mathematics.
Participate in the Libraries’ general information literacy program for undergraduates
Participate (in collaboration with other library and university departments) in digital projects
Some night and weekend reference desk coverage is required. Position reports to the Associate Dean for Public Services/Head of Reference and Instruction Services.
- Master’s degree in library or information science from an ALA-accredited program
- Relevant experience in an academic or special library
- Strong and effective interpersonal, communication, computer, teaching, organizational and analytical skills
- Strong service orientation and commitment to excellence
- Adaptability, flexibility and ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to adapt emerging technologies to enhance user services in a collaborative, busy, and changing public services unit
- Ability to contribute collegially and productively in a team environment.
- Degree in a science discipline, preferably biological sciences or mathematics
- Two years professional library employment that includes reference, instruction, and liaison experience in the sciences
- Experience with specialized reference, instruction, liaison or collection development and management in a science discipline
- Professional experience in an academic or special library
- A record of scholarly, professional and research activity
SALARY/BENEFITS: Minimum salary of $54,025 for a Librarian II, higher with experience, or appointment as a Librarian III. Rank will be commensurate with experience/qualifications. Benefits include 20 days vacation leave/12 days sick leave per year; participation in State Teachers’ Retirement System (mandatory); additional voluntary retirement plans available; health/life/disability insurance.
APPLICATION: Application review process begins February 18, 2013 and will continue until a qualified candidate is selected and recommended for appointment. Complete application must include letter of interest, resume, and the names, mail and e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of three current references. The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment.
APPLY TO: Claudine Jenda, Chair, Science Reference Librarian Search Committee, Ralph Brown Draughon Library, 231 Mell Street, Auburn University, AL 36849-5606; e-mail: Library.Recruitment@auburn.edu.
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WOMEN AND MINORITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY