Howard-Tilton Memorial Library invites applications for the position of Serials and Electronic Resources Catalog Librarian. This position is responsible for metadata creation and maintenance of serials
and e- resources in all formats and languages. We are seeking an innovative, energetic, and team-oriented librarian who is accustomed to working in a production-focused environment. The successful candidate will have the knowledge and initiative to assist the library as we prepare for and transition to increased non-MARC metadata creation, linked data projects, and the eventual conversion to BIBFRAME.
The Serials and Electronic Resources Catalog Librarian is a creative, detail-oriented, and collaborative professional, is comfortable in a changing environment, and is responsible for cataloging and metadata maintenance of serials and electronic resources in all formats and languages. This position serves as resource person for serials and electronic resources and contributes to the maintenance of the Libraries’ electronic resources management system and knowledgebase. Tulane is a CONSER library and this position actively contributes and updates NACO and CONSER records, and serves as the Libraries’ liaison to CONSER. This position reports to the Head of Cataloging and works closely with personnel in Electronic Resources Management, Acquisitions, and Database Management Departments, and directly supervises and evaluates 1 full-time Library Technician.
The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is a rapidly changing environment and its Serials and Electronic Resources Catalog Librarian is expected to develop expertise with emerging technologies and participate collaboratively in innovative library projects.
* Perform original and complex copy cataloging of serials and electronic resources in all formats and languages, using international cataloging standards. Contribute and update NACO and CONSER records as part of the Program for Cooperative Cataloging
* Manage bulk loading processes for e-journals and e-books, utilizing programs such as MARCEdit to edit records. Create and run reports and perform database maintenance for serials and electronic resources, using Voyager WebAdmin, Global Data Change, and Microsoft Access
* Serve as the resource person for serials and electronic resources cataloging; resolve serials and electronic resources cataloging problems referred by other library staff; provide training for cataloging of serials and electronic resources
* Plan, implement, and coordinate cataloging and holdings verification projects as appropriate
* Participate in the development and implementation of cataloging policies and procedures
* Maintain current awareness of national and international developments and standards in metadata and bibliographic control, particularly for serials and electronic resources
* Minimum two years original monograph or serials cataloging, or four years of serials copy cataloging experience in an academic library
* Experience using OCLC Connexion
* Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of RDA, AACR2R, LC classification, LCSH, and MARC 21 formats for bibliographic, authority, and holdings data
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Effective interpersonal skills
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse environment
* Ability to function as a contributing team member in a production-oriented environment
* Flexibility in adapting to changing departmental and organizational priorities
* Demonstrated organizational and project planning skills
* Strong service orientation
* Strong commitment to continued personal and professional development
* ALA-accredited MLS
* Original cataloging of serials and/or electronic resources
* Familiarity with serials and electronic resources management
* CONSER, BIBCO, or NACO experience
* Reading knowledge of a Western European language, Spanish highly preferred
* Experience with Ex Libris Voyager.
* Experience with bulk editing software such as MARCEdit
* Experience working with Microsoft Access or other database management system
How To Apply
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and names with full contact information of at least three professional references
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.