Nazarbayev University is a new, research-driven institution located in Astana, the exciting young capital of Kazakhstan. NU offers undergraduate, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees in fields including Science and Technology, Engineering, Business, Public Policy, Social Sciences and Humanities, Medicine, and more. Nazarbayev University Library, currently one of the most progressive and dynamic libraries in Kazakhstan, is looking for energetic, creative, and service-oriented Librarians to join our team. Apply now for a chance at the unforgettable experience of living and working in fascinating Central Asia.
Position: Patron Services Librarian
Institution: Nazarbayev University Library, Astana, Kazakhstan
• Provide subject specialist expertise for patrons in an assigned area;
• Act as library liaison to university faculty and staff in an assigned area;
• Organize events and exhibits to encourage patron use of library services;
• Develop new methods of patron service using technology, Western methods, or library experience;
• Assist with other library work areas or committees as needed;
• Work at circulation desk in accordance with library schedules (note that evening and weekend hours are included).
Business trips: Possible.
Minimum Educational Requirements: ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science.
Desired Educational Background: We welcome applicants from a variety of academic backgrounds; however, applicants with an undergraduate degree in the Sciences or Engineering will be given preference.
Desired professional experience: Relevant experience in a Western academic library; instructional experience.
Desired professional knowledge and personal qualities:
• Demonstrated expertise in using databases, and electronic and print resources;
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
• Effective instructional skills in group and individual settings;
• Strong planning, organizational, and analytical skills;
• Teaching or supervisory experience;
• Ability to work flexibly in a team, or independently;
• Experience with work, study, or instruction abroad.
Proficiency in languages: Excellent proficiency in English is required. Knowledge of Kazakh, Russian, or other major languages is advantageous.
• Advanced computer use in Windows, MS Office, and Internet;
• Experience using integrated library systems and library catalogs;
• Knowledge of electronic databases and advanced search techniques.
Final date of application submission: Open until filled.
Please send, in English, your resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to Library Director Aliya Sarsembinova (email@example.com) as soon as possible.