Oakland University’s Kresge Library seeks a dynamic and service-oriented humanities librarian to join us in fostering academic excellence and student success by expertly integrating teaching, information and technology to advance the teaching, learning, research and creative activities of our faculty and students. The successful candidate will serve as subject specialist and liaison to one or more academic departments in the humanities and to the thriving Honors College, and will be responsible for providing in-depth research and instructional support to faculty and students; developing relevant, responsive collections in all formats; and promoting library resources and services to the campus community.
The Humanities Librarian will serve as an active member of the library faculty, contribute to the Library’s broader programs and initiatives, and help us to explore current and emerging trends in scholarly communication and humanities librarianship. The successful candidate will possess the ability to apply new technologies to a broad range of instructional activities and library services.
Rank, salary, benefits: This is a tenure-track, faculty appointment with the obligation to work fall and winter semesters. Attainment of tenure is dependent upon job performance, scholarship, and service. Appointment will be made at the Assistant Professor level; salary will be determined by credentials and experience. Oakland University offers excellent fringe benefits including TIAA/CREF and Fidelity retirement plans.
● MLS degree received from an ALA-accredited institution.
● Demonstrated subject knowledge in a performing arts- or humanities-related discipline, and proven knowledge of primary and secondary information resources in the humanities.
● Strong commitment to information literacy instruction, and demonstrated aptitude for teaching in multiple formats.
● Excellent interpersonal, oral, written, and online communication skills.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team and to work with diverse faculty, staff, and students.
● Potential to meet the library’s requirements for promotion and tenure, which require research and publication.
● Undergraduate degree and/or advanced degree (second master’s degree or Ph.D.) in a humanities-related discipline.
● Knowledge of scholarly communication issues and trends, especially within the humanities.
● Demonstrated interest in exploring how the OU Libraries might support faculty research and initiatives related to digital humanities.
● Demonstrated subject knowledge and experience in music librarianship.
● A record of scholarly publications and professional service activities.
Applications: View the complete position description and submit a letter of application, your curriculum vitae, and contact information of three current references to: https://jobs.oakland.edu/postings/4090 .
Questions regarding this position should be directed to:
Chair, Humanities Librarian Search Committee
Review of applications will begin on March 31, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. Oakland University is an equal opportunity employer.