The Special Collections Department of the Maryland Historical Society library is seeking an intern at the college or graduate level to assist with reference desk, administrative duties, online catalog (EOS), and other library-related tasks. Maturity, good customer service skills, reliability, and attention to detail are essential. The Special Collections Department intern will work directly with library patrons and work on specific projects, such as cataloging and/or archival processing. Internships are available Wednesday through Friday, 10a-5p with occasional Saturdays. Two full days/week availability required.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Working at the Special Collections desk; assisting patrons with Special Collections, checking patrons in and out; vetting questions over the phone and email
- Assisting with Special Collections photocopy requests
- Completing inventory projects, cataloging new material, and/or processing archival collections.
- Excellent data management skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail
- Currently enrolled in a Library Science or Archives program or degree holder
- Strong interest in the pursuit of a career in academic librarianship
- Ability to lift and move boxes up to 40 pounds
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Flexibility and ability to work with minimal supervision
Valued but not required:
- Experience with handling archival collections
- Familiarity with cataloging and MARC standards
- Experience in an archive or special library.
The internship may be completed for college credit if approved by your program.
To be considered for this position, please send a resume and two professional references to:
Special Collections Department
Address: 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore, Maryland 21201
No phone calls please.
Maryland Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer.