The International Baccalaureate is a not-for profit foundation, which offers four high quality and challenging educational programmes for a worldwide community of schools. For over 40 years, IB programmes have gained a reputation for their high academic standards, for preparing students for life in a globalised 21st century, and for helping to develop the citizens who will create a better, more peaceful world.
This post of e-Librarian is to support the IB Portal Project with the management and the quality assurance of the IB e-Library (all external and internal finished content) and its associated metadata application profile (IBMAP). The role will involve working within the Hague Global Centre and remotely with the other offices notably in Bethesda, Singapore and Cardiff.
The e-Librarian’s main tasks are to champion the introduction of the new e-Library and to manage and curate the existing IB collections. This will involve oversight of the quality of the cataloguing and classification of content for retrieval according to the IB metadata application profile (IB MAP); acquisition and description of new collections or resources; communication and support/training for stakeholders using the e-Library and management of the application profile and controlled vocabularies. This includes the first collections (Online Curriculum Centre and Workshop Resource Centre) but in time will include other external collections, free and commercial. The role does not include entering all the metadata, this has to be done by the content generating departments but it does include being part of the submission workflows to check that the entries are of the right quality. Bringing on new collections (metadata) will require considerable work with governance processes and technical considerations. Strong links will exist with many parts of the IB including Academic, IB Publishing, Global PD, Language Services and the OCC/WRC Managers.
The post holder will be responsible for:
• Acquisition and description of new collections
• Management of application profile and controlled vocabularies
• Management and curation of existing collections
• E-Library management and communication with stakeholders
• Ensure quality of the metadata in the e-Library is maintained at the highest level
• Maintain the technical standards of the metadata to ensure external interoperability is not compromised.
The successful post holder must have:
• Masters in Library and Information Science
• 3 years experience in digital content management
• Experience with repository management tools
• Knowledge of metadata standards relevant to the e-learning domain
• Familiar with different aspects of the K-12 sector
• Knowledge of XML
• Strong writing and communication skills in English. An advantage proficiency in English, French and Spanish is a clear advantage.
• Familiarity with IPR and copyright issues (including creative commons licensing) in digital library contexts would be desirable.
Start date: May 1st 2015. Please indicate in your application materials the date from which you would be available to start work.
Location: The post will be based in the IB Africa, Europe and the Middle East Global Centre, in The Hague, The Netherlands.
For further information and to apply directly, please click on http://www.ibo.org/jobs