Qatar National Library has a new opening for a Senior Information Services Librarian Children’s Services position, if interested please send me your CV to Sandra Montesinos email@example.com
As a Team Leader, this position will coordinate and facilitate the work of the Children’s Services team in creating, providing, and assessing services, collections, and programs that meet the developmental, sociological, and informational needs of children from ages 0 – 11, along with the needs of their parents, caregivers, and educators. This position is responsible for ensuring all children’s collections meet user needs, as well as for collection management in this area. The position will provide literacy and learning opportunities through the development of innovative content, programs, and promotional activities for children, and educational support to parents, caregivers, and educators. Regularly scheduled evening and weekend work will be required.
Key Result Areas:
· Coordinate and facilitate the work of the Children’s Services team in order to create an integrated and developmentally appropriate approach to services, collections, and programs.
· Plan, present, and evaluate early literacy story times, programs, activities, and workshops for children ages 0 – 5 and their parents, caregivers, and educators.
· Assist children, parents, caregivers, and educators with their reference, informational, and reader’s advisory requests through regular shifts in the Children’s Library.
· Plan, present, and evaluate programs, activities, and opportunities for ages 6-11 that encourage reading, learning, and creativity to develop lifelong learners and innovators.
· Develop and provide, and participate in outreach services to schools and other groups or organizations serving families and children.
· As the team representative on the Internal Library Collections Committee, the position participates in collection goal setting, recommending budgets and policies and advocates Children’s Services collection needs and priorities.
· Develop the library collection in assigned subject areas by searching for, identifying, evaluating and selecting relevant materials through the application of standard library collection development methodologies in conjunction with the Collection Development policy and library procedures.
· Develop print and virtual resources to support early literacy, reading, and teaching and learning activities.
· Maintain regular interaction with children, parents, caregivers, and educators to determine user needs.
· Develop displays in order to highlight and interpret the library’s collections and services.
· Continuously explore new applications of pedagogy and technology in order to design and deliver active learning, critical thinking, and learner collaboration for children, parents, caregivers, and educators.
· Serve on designated committees throughout the library.
· Contributes to the profession by publishing, presenting or participating in professional organizations.
· Keep abreast of developments, trends and issues in all areas of responsibilities.
· Familiarize, understand and implement QF health, safety, and environment policy, procedures, legal regulations and objectives applicable to areas of responsibility. Ensures coordination with HSE department in implementing, monitoring and reviewing of HSE performance to ensure work under his/her control is performed in a safe, healthy and environmentally sound manner.
· This position includes, but is not limited to, other duties as required and defined by the scope, purpose, and spirit of the institution and are not always indicative of the title and grade of the position.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
· Master’s Degree in Library or Information Science accredited by the American Library Association or foreign equivalent.
· 5 years of progressively responsible experience in children’s or youth library services
· Team leadership and facilitation skills.
· Strong analytical skills with attention to detail.
· Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
· Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills in both oral and written English. Arabic language skills will be an asset.
· Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively both independently and within a team.
· Flexible and versatile in performing challenging and changing responsibilities.
· Familiarity with Library / Web 2.0 technologies as a user.