Florida International University is recognized as a Carnegie engaged university. It is a public research university with colleges and schools that offers more than 180 bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs in fields such as engineering, international relations, architecture, law and medicine. As one of South Florida’s anchor institutions, FIU contributes $9.8 billion each year to the local economy. FIU is Worlds Ahead in finding solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. FIU emphasizes research as a major component of its mission. FIU has awarded over 200,000 degrees and enrolls more than 54,000 students in two campuses and three centers including FIU Downtown on Brickell, FIU@I-75, and the Miami Beach Urban Studios. FIU also supports artistic and cultural engagement through its three museums: the Patricia & Phillip Frost Art Museum, the Wolfsonian-FIU, and the Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU. FIU is a member of Conference USA and has over 400 student-athletes participating in 18 sports. For more information about FIU, visit http://www.fiu.edu/.
WEB SERVICES LIBRARIAN
The FIU Libraries seek a student-centered, creative, innovative, and public service-oriented Web Services Librarian to provide leadership in the vision, development, and maintenance of the Libraries’ web presence. This position works both collaboratively and independently in the management of the Libraries’ site and various systems.
The Web Services Librarian works as part of the RefTech Team and the Information & Research Services’ (I&RS) unit to fulfill departmental and Library goals that rely on tech initiatives. This position has an active role in the libraries’ instruction program and reference services. As a library faculty member, this individual is expected to fully participate in scholarship and service activities, while working with library faculty and staff across multiple departments to meet the mission and goals of the University Libraries.
· Web Services & Content Management
o Provides leadership, direction, and expertise in the design and development of an evolving library web presence, including content development, maintenance, and evaluation of the Libraries’ website, with support from the Libraries’ System Department and the University’s Division of IT.
o Works closely with the RefTech Team in the planning for current and future web interfaces/technologies and innovations to improve the Libraries’ web presence and ensure compliance with web/ADA standards, University branding and style guidelines, and security policies.
o Collaborates with library staff to improve user interfaces, test new delivery platforms, and assist with technical issues.
o Collaborates with the User Experience Librarian to engage in usability testing, analytics analysis, and assessments of the website.
o In collaboration with the Electronic Resources Librarian, provides access to electronic resources, directing content and maintaining site organization and structure; manages remote access (EzProxy) and OpenURL configuration; assists with the management of the A-Z databases and resources lists.
· Reference & Instruction
o Participates in public service delivery to faculty and students and provides basic reference services (email, phone, chat, etc.). Some evening and weekend hours may be required.
o Contributes to the I&RS instruction program.
· Scholarship, Service, & Professional Development
o Participates in scholarship, faculty governance, and service as a library faculty member.
o Works cooperatively on library-wide initiatives as appropriate to position functions.
o Other responsibilities include maintaining current awareness of emerging digital library technologies and actively participating in local, national, and international meetings and organizations.
· ALA-accredited MLIS with at least four years post-MLIS experience in a library or educational institution
· Demonstrated commitment to user-centered library services and an understanding of information seeking behaviors in an academic research environment
· Ability to work flexibly and creatively in a changing and fast-paced environment with a culturally diverse population
· A well-articulated understanding of the role and possibilities of the Web in the teaching, learning, and research pursuits of a large research library setting
· Demonstrated experience in library web design and development, including the building and/or integration of a variety of Web applications, HTML, XML, CSS, and mobile development
· Demonstrated experience managing and/or administering a variety of Web development and authoring software tools, including open source software, and content management systems (preferably Drupal)
· Experience in applying web accessibility standards, user-centered design principles, and interactive concepts
· Familiarity with digital media technology and providing access to digitized audio, video, and images
· Experience in gathering and evaluating usage statistics related to the website and other web-based services, and making data-driven decisions regarding the websites’ usability, architecture, and design
· Demonstrated project management and problem solving skills and an established ability to handle multiple projects and responsibilities concurrently
· Strong leadership skills and ability to work independently, collaboratively, and in teams within library and university web/online communities
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
Non-tenured faculty status; rank and salary are competitive based on qualifications and experience.
About the Libraries: For information about the FIU Libraries, please visit http://library.fiu.edu.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply to Job Opening ID 509256 at facultycareers.fiu.edu and must attach a cover letter and resume as a single pdf file. Candidates will be requested to provide names and contact information for at least three professional references who will be contacted as determined by the search committee. All inquiries should be directed to Sarah J. Hammill, Chair of the Search and Screen Committee, at email@example.com. To receive full consideration, applications and required materials should be received by May 1, 2015. Review will continue until position is filled.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.