Deadline: 15 April 2015
This job aims to performing a variety of complex technical and specialized library functions in relations to the preparation of bibliographic and item records for monographs and other library materials. Perform original and copy cataloging and adapts online records according to guidelines in all subject areas and in dozens of languages.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Perform original descriptive and subject cataloging for various library materials in a variety of languages and subject fields; determine appropriate guidelines in applying rules of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress subject heading policies, Dewey Decimal Classification, Arabic subject headings, MARC21 and catalog materials in categories of advanced specialized backgrounds.
- Conduct complex searching and researching in English and several foreign languages to establish appropriate form of main entries, added entries and place names; assign main entries and subject headings; determine edition statements, imprints, collations and series notes.
- Perform copy cataloging in several subjects and Roman languages in all subject areas from OCLC or LC and compare piece in hand to OCLC-derived MARC record
- Create item record, assign cutter and print spine label for each physical item
- Carry the primary responsibility for the development and maintenance of those parts of the catalog that pertain to collections under their jurisdiction. This means that all functions necessary for the creation and maintenance of the catalog that are not assigned to copy cataloging or authority control personnel or other support staff are part of the cataloger’s responsibilities.
- Lead the way in researching new techniques and technologies for cataloging, share findings with colleagues, and make recommendations for implementation in department processes as appropriate.
- Determine appropriate treatments for series or multipart items, except in cases where the default treatment (fully analyzed, traced, and classified separately) has already been established in the authority file
- Provide assistance to other catalogers in resolving difficult cataloging problems in specialty areas of language and subject competence.
- Work closely with subject specialists and reference librarians to provide intellectual and physical access to materials in a timely manner.
- Serve on various library committees and provide recommendations for the improvement and streamlining of library services
- Other duties as assigned.
- Obtaining a high university degree in an appropriate field.
- Fluency in Arabic and English. A TOEFL certificate is required (500 paper based degree/173 degree computer based/60 degrees internet based or IELTS (5 points) or equivalent and recognized by the Library of Alexandria. For those who do not possess one of these certificates when applying for this job, he/she will verify (if selected) by providing the required certificate within a period not exceeding three months, otherwise his/her acceptance for the job shall be cancelled.
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs and applications. ICDL certificate is required, For those who do not possess this certificate when applying for this job, s/he (if selected) must submit the required certificate within a period not exceeding three months, otherwise his/her acceptance for the job shall be cancelled.
- Full-time Job.
- General knowledge – initiative – teamwork – follow-up – communication – presentable appearance – time management – accuracy – dedication to continuous learning and acquisition of new skills.
- knowledge of cataloging practices and procedures and knowledge of library automated systems is preferably.