Charged with supervisory and administrative work to ensure efficient operations of the Livingston Parish Library Youth Services Department. Ensures that the library is seen by the community as an essential source of education, enrichment, and engagement for young people ages 0-18. Works with managers, Head of Adult Programming, and youth staff to maintain a high standard of programming in branches and outreach. Seeks opportunities to bring new ideas to programming to stay current and relevant aligning with trends in education, child research, art, and culture. Assists with collection development and organization of materials to ensure the library collection meets the needs and interests of children and teens.
· Works with staff system-wide to create innovative programming.
· Creates and coordinates library programming for children and teens in the branches and outreach department.
· Evaluates program proposals to ensure they align with community needs and library goals.
· Evaluates programs and works with managers to improve program quality.
· Creates and maintains current a programming manual.
· Incorporates reading initiatives into programming. Examples include Every Child Ready to Read, STEAM, and Read 15 Minutes into programming
· Maintains records and statistics and prepares reports.
· Direct co-supervisor to Programming Associate and Outreach Coordinator. Creates schedules, manages workload, and delegates tasks.
· Provides feedback to branch managers on the strengths and areas for improvement for their staff facilitating youth services; prepares a branch programming evaluation biannually for library director.
· Conducts training to update staff in programming and other services relevant to youth.
· Seeks outside training opportunities for staff and coordinates staff attendance.
· With the Head of Adult Services schedule, plan, and manage the annual book festival’s speakers, entertainment, music, and other activities.
· Assigns, manages and schedules all staff and hired parties during the book festival.
· Schedule performers for summer and write grants to supplement funding.
· Provide staff with instructions and materials to host the summer reading program
· With the Head of Adult Services manage the ordering, resources, and budget of the programming department.
· Maintains close working relationships with library administration, branch managers, division heads and community organizations.
· Performs other work as required
· Actively seeks grant funds to continue current or start new programs and initiatives
· Meets with book sellers to choose items for the collection and submits them for review to the head of collection development.
· Reviews selected new materials for appropriate collection placement.
Minimum Qualifications Requirements:
· Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited or approved equivalent graduate school.
· Three (3) years of fulltime experience as a professional librarian which must have been gained after receipt of a Master’s Degree from an accredited graduate library school. One (1) year of this experience must have been in a supervisory capacity at a public library.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends, stand for extensive periods of time during the work day, lift 25 pounds, and work at any location in the Livingston Parish Library System.
· Must be able to complete mandatory pre-employment criminal background check.
Annual Salary: $42,500 (base)
Benefits: Annual leave, sick leave, paid holidays, paid employee health insurance, parochial retirement; participation in dental insurance.
Position available: Immediately
Application deadline: May 1, 2015
How to Apply:
Mail a resume, cover letter, references, diploma, and university transcripts to:
Giovanni Tairov, Director
Livingston Parish Library
PO Box 397
Livingston, LA 70754
The applications will be reviewed as received. Top qualified candidates will be contacted to schedule for an interview.
Livingston Parish Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.