The University of Texas Libraries (UT Libraries), The University of Texas at Austin, seeks a Digital Archivist to support processing born-digital collections and assist in stewardship of digitized collections across its various libraries and archives. Working as part of the Preservation and Digital Curation Services Unit, the successful candidate will:
- Play an active role in the acquisition, appraisal, arrangement and description, and provision of access to born-digital and digitized collections;
- Collaborate with collections, IT, and digital curation staff to perform tasks related to processing incoming digital materials;
- Contribute to policies and workflows for long-term stewardship of UT Libraries digital assets;
- Participate in ongoing development, implementation, and assessment of systems to manage long-term stewardship and access for born-digital and digitized collections.
Working hours are Monday through Friday, as arranged with the supervisor, for a total of 40 hours per week between 7 am and 6 pm.
- MLS or equivalent from an ALA accredited graduate program.
- Experience with archives and records management theory and practice.
- Knowledge of digital preservation theory and practice, including best practices and technologies for managing digitized and born-digital materials.
- Knowledge of relevant metadata standards (EAD, PREMIS, MODS, etc.).
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, projects, and stakeholders effectively.
- Demonstrated aptitude for detail oriented work including strong analytic and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Strong commitment to public service and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with diverse groups in a complex and changing environment.
- Two years or more professional experience implementing policies and procedures in support of stewardship of digital materials in an academic library, special collection, or archive.
- Experience with collection management and/or institutional repository applications such as Archivists’ Toolkit, Archivematica, ArchivesSpace, Islandora/Fedora, DSpace, etc.
- Certified Archivist or Digital Archives Specialist or willingness to work towards certification.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate technical concepts and requirements to diverse audiences.
- Experience harvesting and preserving born-digital materials, including web sites, email, and various social media.
- Experience with disk imaging, digital forensics tools, and/or digital preservation management software.
- Experience with XML and XSLT.
- Experience with command line programming and scripting languages such as Perl, Python, etc.
- Familiarity with linked data and the semantic web.
- Strong knowledge of copyright, donor restrictions, and permissions issues related to processing and preserving digital materials.
To apply for this position, please visit this site: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/hr/jobs/nlogon/150408010088