Georgetown University School of Foreign Service in Qatar (SFS-Q) welcomes applications for the position of Director of the Library. SFS-Q’s library advances and supports the learning, teaching, and research goals of the university while also serving as a resource for the greater Qatar community. The library offers a wide range of collections and services, both independently and in conjunction with libraries at the home campus in Washington DC.
The Director will lead and manage the development and operation of the Library, with responsibility for staff, collections, services, systems, and budgets to support the mission and goals of the SFS-Q campus and to provide academic resources and services to patrons from outside the University. He/she will liaise with the Main Campus Library to ensure equivalent access to resources and services for students and faculty at the Qatar campus.
– Collaborate with SFS-Q departments, main campus libraries, and across institutional boundaries to ensure provision of resources and services that anticipate and meet the learning, teaching, and research goals of the university;
– Manage human resources for the Library, including hiring, developing, mentoring, and evaluating staff and student assistants;
– Oversee the implementation, development, operation, and use of the Library’s integrated software system and technical infrastructure;
– Develop policies and procedures for all areas of library activity;
– Oversee physical space and monitor budget expenditures;
– Coordinate the development and provision of services to the community through access and training programs, consortium agreements and collaborative arrangements, with a specific focus on assisting in the development of the Qatar University Library and the region as a whole;
– Collaborate with SFS-Q departments to implement the Standards for Libraries in Higher Education;
– Lead and facilitate research projects where appropriate;
– Represent SFS-Q in Qatar and the region.
– MLS degree from an ALA accredited program or equivalent accreditation body; additional graduate degree is desirable.
– 5+ years of academic library experience, including management in a senior library role.
– Specific understanding and knowledge of all aspects of library administration and operation, including technical services, systems and software applications, information technologies, collections, information delivery and instructional programs.
– Demonstrated track record of establishing and facilitating collaborative relationships and working with diverse cultures.
– Must possess a record of professional participation and accomplishment.
– Experience in manning research funding applications and research project management.
– Experience of participation in senior management-level decision-making at institutions equivalent to SFS-Q.
– Superior oral and written communication skills.
– Must be fully conversant with library systems and information technologies, and in particular with the III integrated library software system.
– Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite.
– Some experience in conference organization would be beneficial.
– Arabic language proficiency would be an asset.
This position is based in Doha, Qatar.