The University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) seeks nominations and applications for a visionary leader to serve as Director of the Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery.
UMBC has been ranked first among national universities by U.S. News & World Report in the “Up-andComing Schools” category for six consecutive years. UMBC is a vibrant public doctoral research university and a member of the University System of Maryland. UMBC serves more than 11,000 undergraduates and close to 3,000 graduate students. Located just outside Baltimore and 45 minutes from Washington, DC, the campus is growing rapidly under dynamic leadership. For more information on UMBC see http://www.umbc.edu.
The University’s ongoing commitment to enhancing its national research profile has included significant investment in the Library in recent decades. (see www.umbc.edu/library) Holding more than one million volumes, the Library enjoys strong partnerships with fellow members of the University System of Maryland and Affiliated Institutions (USMAI) Consortium and the Maryland Digital
Reporting to the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, the Director will provide visionary leadership to enhance research, teaching, and scholarship within the UMBC community. The Director is responsible for all matters relating to the administration of the Library & Gallery, including supervising library faculty, staff, and student assistants, evaluating faculty and staff, developing cutting-edge library
services, directing assessment programs, administering the library & gallery budgets, assuring excellent service to faculty, staff, students and the greater university community, leading the library’s fund raising and development activities, maintaining strong collaborative relationships with UMBC Division of Information Technology, and representing the library inside UMBC and to external
To fulfill these responsibilities, the Director of the Albin O. Kuhn Library & Gallery should have the following:
• Demonstrated knowledge of library and information technology developments and practices, and the ability to leverage technology effectively to provide well developed library services.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organization and work collaboratively with students, library faculty, and staff in the library, as well as key stakeholders outside the library.
• Strong personnel management experience working with library faculty, staff, and student assistants and a commitment to promoting staff development.
• Strong leadership skills to lead the Library & Gallery and the Library Executive Council.
• Demonstrated operations and planning skills.
• Demonstrated exceptional communication skills.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the changes impacting scholarship, scholarly communication, and the dissemination and preservation of knowledge.
• Ability to work with internal offices, external agencies, organizations, and individuals for fund raising and development opportunities.
• Demonstrated detailed budgeting knowledge for large scale complex budgets.
• Ability to establish procedures for efficient library operations that meet university requirements.
• Ability to promote the library as a cultural and intellectual center, including hosting and planning events.
• ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent degree in the Library and Information Science field required, Ph.D. preferred.
• At least five years of progressive management experience in an academic library, preferably at a research university with a high to very high research Carnegie classification.
• Demonstrated knowledge of 21st century library issues and information technology issues relating to the academic library environment.
• Demonstrated leadership in advancing library services and resources for teaching, learning, and scholarship.
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Confidential inquiries, nominations, referrals, and résumés with cover letters should be directed to:
Steve Leo, Vice President
Sue May, Principal
Vicki Henderson, Senior Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates, LP
UMBC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
UMBC is especially proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. We have a strong commitment to increasing faculty diversity
More information available at: http://storbeckpimentel.com/resources/uploads/institution/UMBCLibrariesPD.pdf