Head of Electronic Resources and Acquisitions
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Comprehensive research university library at America’s creative crossroads in an affordable and vibrant city, seeks candidates with energy, creativity, flexibility, and strong communication skills for the position of Head of Electronic Resources and Acquisitions in the UMKC University Libraries.The Head of Electronic Resources and Acquisitions manages library operations related to electronic resources management, acquisitions, and serials, and has primary responsibility for:
- Supervising staff and managing workflows related to electronic resources management, acquisitions, and serials
- Managing the tools that support work in these areas, including ILS functions, ERMs, knowledge bases, OpenURL linkresolvers, discovery tools, etc.
- Overseeing financial operations related to library acquisitions, including payment of invoices, budget tracking, financial reporting and reconciliation, and fiscal year close
- Maintaining effective relationships with library acquisitions and electronic resources vendors
- Negotiating vendor contracts and licenses
- Working with users and other library departments to improve the user experience in accessing and using collections and electronic resources
The position reports to the Director of Collections and Access Management.UMKC exemplifies the values of education first, innovation, accountability, diversity, and collaboration. UMKC holds a firm commitment to engage and lead the larger community in a variety of ways appropriate to its status as a forward-thinking cultural, intellectual and educational center. The UMKC University Libraries has seen tremendous growth in the electronic resources it provides to the university students, faculty, and staff and is implementing strategic initiatives to strengthen user-centered design and improving the Libraries’ online presence.
- ALA accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS, MSLS, MLIS, etc.) or work towards such a degree with completion expected prior to the first renewal of annual contract;
- Knowledge of current issues in electronic resources management;
- Excellent oral, written, organization, planning, and interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated computer and technology literacy skills;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask, set priorities, and complete tasks in a rapidly changing environment;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Strong service philosophy;
- Ability to work positively and productively with diverse constituencies in an environment of rapid change;
- Evidence of professional initiative and mature judgment;
- Potential to meet promotion requirements in non-tenure track faculty appointment.
- Academic library experience, specifically related to acquisitions, serials, and/or electronic resources management;
- Experience with Innovative Interfaces’ ILS (Millennium and/or Sierra) and/or Serials Solutions platforms;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated user experience, user research, and/or user-centered design experience;
- Experience working in a consortial academic library environment.
Salary: Competitive salary commensurate with education and experience and excellent retirement/benefits package.
Application Instructions: Application materials must be submitted online at www.umkc.edu/jobs. Applicants must combine all application materials (personal letter of interest with accompanying curriculum vitae and a list of 3 references) into one PDF or Microsoft Word document and upload as a resume attachment. Limit document name to 50 characters. Maximum size limit is 11MB. Do not include special characters (e.g., /, &, %, etc.).
Applications received by July 3, 2015 will receive priority consideration.
For questions about how applicants apply, please call (816) 235-1621, or if you are experiencing technical problems, please call (855) 524-0002.
You may address your cover letter to: Buddy Pennington, Chair of Search Committee. For inquiries, please contact 816-235-1531 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America.
All final candidates will be required to successfully pass a Criminal Background Check prior to beginning employment. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens must state their current visa and residency status.
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer