St. John the Baptist Parish Library
Reports to: Library Board of Control
Hours: This is an Exempt Full-time Position
Salary: Negotiable: Depending on Experience; Excellent Benefits that include full medical, dental and life insurance, accrued annual leave, medical leave, paid holidays and a contributory membership in the Parochial Retirement System.
Application Deadline: Thursday, July 30, 2015
Nature of the Work: Under the policy direction of the Library Board of Control, the director is responsible for the administration and management of the library system. The director serves as chief administrative and financial officer and has the responsibility for administration of all library staff, facilities, services and functions. The system has approximately 50 full and part-time employees with a central library, three branches and a mobile service.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Acts as chief executive officer of the Library.
- Acts as secretary to library board of control.
- Develop policies and procedures and makes policy recommendations to the Library Board; administers approved policies.
- Directs the operation of the library system (staff, services, facilities), responsible for capital planning, including organizing and coordinating daily business and projects.
- Plans and monitors the library budget; negotiates and oversees contracts for services provided to the library; develops plans for capital expenditures; researches or supervises the production of statistical reports regarding library operation, finances and programs.
- Oversees the operation of the library system; plans directs and implements library services; evaluates library services and determines future action.
- Develops long-range objectives and plans; initiates implementation of board adopted goals.
- Monitors developments in library services and keeps library current and relevant
- Responsible for library personnel employment (hiring), retention, promotion, transfer, and termination.
- Oversees collection development; reviews policies and techniques relating to the acquisitions and processing of materials.
- Exercises direct and indirect supervision of the operations of the library; responsible for and provides oversight and guidance.
- Seeks additional funds for library programs and services.
- Represents the library system at various professional conferences and public meetings; makes presentations, gives speeches, does outreach to community organizations; works with the State Library on library initiatives.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with library.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Leads tax election initiatives.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
· Comprehensive Knowledge of:
- Professional library practice and procedure.
- Knowledge of public library functions, facilities and operations.
- Patron needs and library services to meet those needs.
- Standard library automated system modules.
- Proficient in computers, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite software.
· Demonstrated Ability and Skills to:
o Administer the library system operations and projects.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships with library trustees, (board) staff and parish officials.
o Represent the library to the public, communities and organizations.
o Ability to communicate with the public and with the staff; ability to set goals and communicate these to staff and to guide staff through change and development, ability to write concise and clear reports and announcements.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA accredited library school.
- At least 10 years of professional experience with increasing accountability including supervisory and administrative responsibility.
- Must have certification by Louisiana Board of Examiners or be able to attain certification within first year of employment.
St. John the Baptist Parish is located along the Mississippi River approximately 20 miles above New Orleans. The 2010 data recorded a population of 45,924 residents. The petrochemical industry is the major employer along with the Port of South Louisiana. The largest agricultural crop in the parish is sugar cane. Water plays a major role in the life of the parish which is situated along Lake Ponchartrain, Lake Maurepas, Lake Salvador, as well as the mighty Mississippi River.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 30, 2015. Send a letter of application, a resume with three professional references addressed to: Norris J. Millet, President, Library Board of Control, St. John the Baptist Parish Library, 2920 Highway 51, LaPlace, Louisiana 70068.
Jeffrey Courouleau, MLIS
Library Consultant / State E-rate Coordinator
State Library of Louisiana
701 North 4th Street
Baton Rouge, LA 70802-5232
Do not forward this message. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error you may not copy or disseminate this message in any manner. Please notify the sender by return email that you received this transmission in error, and delete it from your computer.