First Book is looking for a mission-driven individual with a passion for children’s and young adult literature to join the E-Commerce team as Cataloging Manager.
About First Book:
First Book is a nonprofit social enterprise working to end the crisis of knowledge poverty throughout communities in the U.S. and Canada. Through unprecedented innovations and publishing partnerships, First Book has placed over 100 million brand new books and resources into the hands of children in low income communities, providing the wealth of knowledge they need to read, learn and succeed. At First Book, we have business minds and non-profit hearts. We are dedicated to our mission and work hard to accomplish our goals by forging partnerships and strategies that benefit the publishing industry as well as the communities, programs and schools we serve.
About the position:
We are currently investing in an organization-wide restructuring of our web properties with a focus on excellence and consistency in user experience. A key component of this process is reviewing and improving the taxonomy and tagging for the books and educational products found on the First Book Marketplace (FBMP). The Cataloging Manager will play a crucial role in creating this outstanding shopping experience that is customized for children’s and young adult literature and best meets the needs of programs that support underserved children.
The Cataloging Manager, with guidance from the Director of Taxonomy and Cataloging, will be responsible for developing and implementing the process for cataloging all products into the most relevant categories so that customers can find the books and resources they need easily and intuitively. In addition, he or she will review product data for accuracy and consistency, providing customers with a reliable and seamless shopping experience.
The ideal individual for this job will:
• Love data and books
• Pay close attention to details
• Have a sixth sense for consistency
• Approach each task with the customer in mind
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide customer-focused cataloging for all product on the First Book Marketplace
· Assist in the product selection and cataloging for seasonal or promotional categories as needed
· Develop and implement standards and best practice solutions to assure data accuracy and consistency, including data review and training of support staff
· Support taxonomy upkeep through feedback on overall system and by implementing changes, independently or in collaboration with IT
· Provide book and reading insights/expertise to all teams as needed, including book-focused content for social media
· An in-depth and broad understanding of and enthusiasm for children’s and young adult literature
· Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to partner with others and deal effectively with multiple priorities and differing points of view
· Ability to interact successfully with individuals and teams across functions and the flexibility to adapt to changing objectives
· Must be able to multitask and successfully manage more than one project at time
· Ongoing awareness of trends and current practices in the children’s book industry, which may include participation in the larger conversation around children’s books and the needs of children (through blogs, newsletters, events, etc.) and membership in professional organizations and institutions (ALA, ALSC, SCBWI, etc.)
· Must be very detail-oriented, methodical, and systematic in his/her organizational approach.
· Must be a quick, intuitive learner with regard to technology
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Excel and Outlook
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree or above, preferably with an emphasis in education, library science, or English
· 1+ year promoting and positioning books to teachers, parents, children and/or Teens
To apply, please visit:
No phone calls please.