Head, Community Engagement & Scholarly Outreach
The Georgia Tech Library invites applications for an innovative and experienced librarian to lead the newly formed Community Engagement & Scholarly Outreach Department. This librarian will oversee a department consisting of subject librarians and digital initiatives librarians who collaborate on services, outreach programs, engagement activities, repository services, scholarship initiatives, and instruction. This librarian will supervise and work with the librarians in the department to implement the Library’s strategic vision and to guide the development and implementation of services and initiatives that respond to the evolving needs of researchers and scholars. Applicants should be committed to the vision of the Library Renewal and to helping the Library and Community Engagement & Scholarly Outreach Librarians transition into new roles and services. Information about the Library Renewal is available at http://renewal.library.gatech.edu
· Lead a new engagement-centered department that focuses on scholarship and relationship building between the Library and the Georgia Tech academic and research community
· Lead department faculty in the development of a shared vision and service model, which involves actively engaging faculty and students through direct outreach
· Set departmental goals and assess services and programs
· Set individual expectations, oversee librarian project portfolios, assess librarian development
· Assess diverse librarian skill sets, recognize talent and anticipate and orchestrate synergistic collaborations
· Cultivate new models of engagement by partnering with faculty, staff, and students
· Lead initiatives and coordinate with other Library and Institute units to accomplish the library mission and support the Library Renewal
· Mentor and guide librarians in the department on faculty progress to promotion
The position reports to the Associate Dean for Research and Learning Services. The position supervises 14 librarians.
· Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program
· Minimum of three years of experience providing subject liaison or information specialist services in an academic library
· Minimum of three years of experience supervising librarians, or managing project teams, in an academic library
· Experience leading academic library outreach services and initiatives
· Broad knowledge of scholarly resources, issues and trends and of research library collections and academic disciplines
· Knowledge of, or experience with, evolving models of scholarly communication, including open access and open educational resources
· Knowledge of, or experience with, data curation, open data, or data science
· Knowledge of best practices, issues, and trends in teaching and learning in academic libraries, including trends in online learning and information tools and resources
· Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse staff and foster collegiality, to encourage change and innovation, and to engage professionals in the collaborative planning and delivery of user-centered services
· Strong commitment to engaging users and providing excellent public service
· Demonstrated ability to analyze trends and to initiate, develop, and assess innovative services for optimal use of information resources
· Solid record of working collaboratively as well as independently
· Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment
· Instruction experience
· Ability to adapt design thinking principles into continually improving spaces, processes and services
· Excellent interpersonal, organizational, analytical, written and oral communications skills
· Professional service, professional activity and contributions to scholarship sufficient for appointment at the rank of Librarian III, which requires a minimum of eight years of experience
The position will be appointed as a member of the Instructional Faculty of the Georgia Tech Library, is non-tenure track and is subject to the review and promotion process for all Georgia Tech librarians and archivists. As a member of the Georgia Tech library faculty, the incumbent will have an effort distribution of 80% excellence in assigned duties, 10% scholarship, and 10% professional service.
Salary and Rank: Salary and rank commensurate with credentials and experience. This is a full-time faculty appointment.
If interested in this position, please submit your curriculum vitae (CV) / resume and cover letter as one document to the Georgia Institute of Technology Library’s Human Resources department by using the following link: https://goo.gl/gjf2pp
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed to be exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
The Georgia Institute of Technology is an Equal Education/Employment Opportunity Institution and the Library encourages applications from candidates of diverse cultural backgrounds.