The Friends of the Provincial Archives of Alberta Society (Friends) is a non-profit organization created to promote and support the ongoing work of the Provincial Archives of Alberta (PAA). The PAA preserves the collective memory of Alberta, and contributes to the protection of Albertans’ rights and the sense of the Alberta identity. Located in Edmonton, it also acquires, preserves and makes available for research private records and government records. The PAA serves as the permanent repository of records of enduring value of the Government of Alberta.
The Friends are looking for a self-motivated, detailed-oriented, and hardworking individual to fill an Archives Technician role for the PAA. This is an excellent opportunity to work in a busy public setting and learn about Alberta Culture & Tourism and the PAA.
The Archives Technician works independently under the task supervision of a Team Lead, as well, individual Archivists and Conservators provide general guidance on project-based work. The Archives Technician supports the government and private records programs of the PAA by accessioning and processing archival records. In addition, the Archives Technician supports the access services by ensuring that records are physically available and associated information is easily accessible through file lists, the compilation of related finding aids and by maintaining location registers/logs
You will be responsible for:
· Accessioning records into the holdings;
· Processing activities, which integrate preservation and archival functions;
· Ensuring the effective tracking and maintenance of archival records and provide for efficient retrieval;
· Participating, where and when required, in special projects, as well as, participating on internal work teams as required and team development of procedures and/or best practice documents to guide technical archival duties and ensure consistent work practices;
· Providing back-up to the Provincial Archives’ reception/receiving areas on an as required basis.
A two-year diploma in a related field, such as Library & Information Technology (MacEwan University), or related post-secondary program is required. A minimum of one year related experience is necessary. Awareness of archival principals, practices and techniques and demonstrated ability to perform preventive preservation work is preferred. Equivalencies will be considered.
1. This contract position ends March 31st, 2016. Possible continuation is dependent on successful funding.
How to Apply
The closing date of this competition is August 30th, 2015 Please submit your cover letter and resume email@example.com, or mail to Friends of PAA Society, 8555 Roper Road, Edmonton AB, T6E 5W1. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Wayne Murdoch at 780-427-1767.