Youth Services Librarian
Closes at 4:00 p.m. on Thursday October 1, 2015
Oregon City, OR
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and performs professional Librarian services for the public in one or more
areas that include but are not limited to reference, collection development, technical
services, and youth services and adult services.
- Performs advanced, complex reference work and related research services, secures
reference materials from other sources
- Analyzes a portion of the library’s collection of books, periodicals and other materials for
purpose of making collection additions, deletions, repairs and replacements. Analyzes
collection for circulation activity and patron preferences.
- Assists patrons in the location and selection of reading materials and use of on-line public
- Conducts and instructs on-line searching of computer databases. May perform
bibliographic verification or searching involving either manual or computerized techniques
requiring accuracy and knowledge of library terms and bibliographic elements.
- Conducts community outreach on behalf of the library. Gives presentations to patrons on
library services. Prepares brochures, newsletters, and other information about special
events and library services.
- Plans and implements library programming.
- Catalogs library materials in Dewey Decimal classification system and numbers and
Library of Congress or other subject heading systems. Performs related professional
cataloging duties. Uses online bibliographic utilities to produce catalog records.
- Reviews books and other materials for collection development purposes.
- May write grant proposals and implement grant-sponsored programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall mission of the library.
- Knowledge and Skills
The position requires specialized professional knowledge of the theory, principles, and
practices involved with library science. Requires knowledge of modern library procedures
and processes. Requires in-depth knowledge of alphanumeric classification systems for
organizing library materials and appropriate American Library Association rules. Requires
a working knowledge of automated systems. Requires well-developed skill at accessing
and using computer databases, on-line information retrieval systems, research tools, library
customer service systems, and common office productivity software. Requires in-depth
knowledge of and advanced skill at conducting bibliographic searches. Requires knowledge
of modern supervisory practices. Requires excellent communication skills for all audiences
and under all circumstances including, but not limited to conveying specialized concepts to
patrons, resolving urgent patron needs, training staff, and delivering presentations to small
groups. Requires excellent writing skills for documenting instructions, preparing
communications and creating brochures.
Requires the ability to perform all of the duties of the position, including but not limited to
training staff and patrons, dealing courteously with library patrons of diverse backgrounds,
working as a contributing member of the library team as well as other internal and external
committees, in order to convey a positive image of the City and its services.
- Physical Abilities
Must be able to work indoors in an office and/or public desk environment engaged in work
primarily of a moderately active nature. Requires hearing and speech ability for ordinary
conversation and to project voice to a small group. Requires sufficient manual and/or
finger dexterity to type/keyboard and otherwise operate computers and other devices.
Requires ambulatory ability to sit, walk, to move around library, and to lift and carry light
to medium weight materials on an intermittent basis.
- Education and Experience
The position requires a Master’s degree in Library Science from an American Library
Association accredited university or college.
- Licenses and Certificates
May require a valid driver’s license.
- Working Conditions
Work is performed indoors where minimal safety considerations exist. May be required to
work weekends and evenings