The Tisch Library at Tufts University supports teaching, learning, and the creation and dissemination of scholarship in the School of Arts & Sciences and School of Engineering (AS&E). With an ambitious strategic plan and research agenda, Tufts is a dynamic institution rising in prominence. Through the provision of collections, subject expertise, and technology-rich research and learning environments Tisch Library plays a critical role helping advance the mission of the University.
The Collections department of Tisch Library is newly re-organized to better align with our strategic plans. With a focus on engaging deeply with faculty, we make strategic decisions in how best to provide access and, where appropriate, long-term preservation to the collections needed to support the teaching and research excellence of AS&E. To do this, the department has a deep understanding of the processes of scholarly communication, recognizing how different formats, different modes of communicating information, and different disciplinary practices impact the transfer and development of knowledge over time.
Reporting to the Head of Collections, the successful candidate in this new position will lead the selection of materials to add to the open access Tufts Digital Library, focusing on materials produced by AS&E faculty and students, as well as published and unpublished born-digital materials that complement local strengths and deepen the collection in areas of strategic importance on campus.
Additional responsibilities include curating digital exhibits to highlight collection strengths, developing best practices around digital library collections, and working with faculty authors and editors in exploring more library support for campus-based publishing. The Librarian for Digital Collections will design workshops and will share his/her expertise around digital collections (copyright, campus publishing, etc.) across campus.
As a member of the Collections department, the person in this position will oversee the social sciences collection in support of the curricular and research needs of AS&E, and will serve on Tisch and interlibrary teams as needed.
- At least 2 years professional experience.
- ALA-accredited MLIS or equivalent advanced degree/experience.
- Strong service orientation and interest in library patrons’ values and needs.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to work well in a team-based environment with a diverse group.
- Knowledge and/or experience creating digital exhibits.
- Significant educational experiences in the social sciences.
- Thorough understanding of the scholarly communication lifecycle.
- Understanding of intellectual property issues for digital materials, including websites.
- Experience with library-based publishing.
- Experience in an academic library.
- Collection development experience.
For details on the positions and to apply, visit the job descriptions –
Librarian for Digital Collections
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Please see the Tufts University non-discrimination statement.