Technical Services Librarian
The Texas A&M University at Qatar Library seeks a service-oriented, enthusiastic, flexible, and innovative professional to serve as the Technical Services Librarian. The Technical Services Librarian is part of a team responsible for the libraries’ acquisitions, systems, cataloging, and collection management. These duties serve to advance research, teaching and learning at Texas A&M University at Qatar. This is an academic appointment carrying full faculty status.
Position Description: The Technical Services Librarian actively participates in a wide range of acquisition, collection maintenance, and systems activities that directly supports faculty, staff, and students. This position focuses on the technical services through various stages of selection to end user access. The position includes a leadership component within the team at the level of assisting the library director with the budget and reporting, updating technical services policies and the day-to-day management of library systems and software. The primary responsibility of this position is to oversee and manage the technical aspects of the acquisitions, cataloging, and other library systems. More > PDF
• American Library Association (ALA)- accredited Master’s Degree (or international equivalent)
• At least 2 years of professional library experience in an academic library
• Familiarity with managing library systems
• Demonstrated excellence in oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Demonstrated analytical and problem solving ability
• Understanding of acquisition and cataloging processes
• Demonstrate understanding of cataloging rules and guidelines
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects and priorities
• Familiarity with budget management
• Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse population
• Experience managing library systems and software
• Experience with data analysis and statistical software applications
• Experience with project planning
• Familiarity with best practices that govern various acquisition and cataloging processes
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with colleagues of diverse backgrounds
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a rapidly changing environment
• Experience working in a library technical services or cataloguing department
Texas A&M University at Qatar is a distance education campus for the main campus in College Station. It serves the faculty, staff, and students of the university, as well as, people in the community. TAMUQ is one of seven American universities participating in Education City in the State of Qatar. TAMUQ offers four Bachelor of Science degree programs in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical, and Petroleum engineering. Each program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Founded in 1876, Texas A&M University has an enrollment of over 50,000 students, making it the seventh largest university in the United States. Texas A&M’s designation as a land, sea, and space grant institution reflects a broad range of research with ongoing projects funded by agencies such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Office of Naval Research. The school ranks in the top 20 American research institutes in terms of funding.
The Libraries: Texas A&M University Libraries is a member of Association of Research Libraries (ARL) and is the University’s principal research and information center, providing more than 5 million volumes, 5.7 million microforms, 91,580 print and electronic serial titles, 557,777 electronic books, and over 1000 databases. The University Libraries ranks 18th among ARL libraries in materials expenditures, with an acquisition budget of $13.5 million. There is a total budgeted staff of 242, including 75 librarians with faculty status. Librarians work in a sophisticated online environment utilizing Voyager, EDS and a full range of automated information retrieval services.
Salary/Benefits/Rank: Faculty rank and salary are commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits include health and life insurance, several retirement plans. TAMUQ offers a competitive salary package including 12 month salary, overseas salary premium, housing, annual home leave allowances, dependent education, local transportation allowance, medical insurance, plus appropriate relocation and repatriation expenses.
Applications: Review of applications will begin on September 1, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled. The letter of application should address the responsibilities, qualifications, and experiences listed for the position. Please submit application letter, vita, and the names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. References will not be contacted without contacting the candidate first and verifying permission. Send nominations and applications via email to email@example.com.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, TAMU Libraries is committed to employing quality faculty who will enhance the rich diversity of our academic community. In that regard, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who are representative of the state’s diversity.