Collection Manager and Head Cataloger
Northwestern State University
Northwestern State University libraries is looking for a cataloger and collection manager for a full time, tenure track, division head. This person will be responsible for cataloging and collection management for a main library and three branch libraries.
This person must demonstrate strong organizational and leadership commitment to the library mission and improvement of the catalog user experience. Candidate must have excellent analytical, organizational, problem solving, interpersonal and communication skills with proven experience resolving numerous, complex catalog issues. Ability to update and bring a catalog up to current standards and beyond. Must have experience with standard office software (Microsoft Office and web applications) and a superior level of technical ability. Incumbent must have the ability to balance competing priorities, and improve workflows; work creatively and effectively both independently and as a member of the library team.
Please send a letter of application, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to Abbie Landry, Director of Libraries, Eugene P. Watson Memorial Library, Northwestern State University of Louisiana, Natchitoches, LA 71497 or email Landry@nsula.edu
Hours of Work: 40 hours per week plus weekly evening and weekend hours
Salary: $50,000 for twelve months
All applications must be received by October 23, 2015.
· MLS or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program
· Professional knowledge of library practices and procedures.
· 2-3 years of experience working with integrated library systems in a client/server environment (preferably SirsiDynix Symphony)
· 2-3 years of experience in cataloging and classifying materials
· Demonstrated familiarity with metadata standards, communication standards, and classification systems (AACR2, LCSH, MARC21, LC, etc.)
· Broad knowledge of library tools, systems, and resources in academic libraries
· Solid technology background, including Microsoft Office Suite software, and familiarity with trends in delivery of electronic information
· Experience in acquisitioning and managing ebooks and ebook collections
· Familiarity with acquisitions
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with other library departments
· Strong analytical and decision-making skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Positive customer service orientation
· Excellent communication skills
· Project management experience
· Able to perform research and publications to achieve tenure
· Ability to move and/or lift materials up to 25 pounds
· Ability to push a loaded book truck weighing up to 300 pounds
· Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, crawl, reach, climb, balance, and sit
DESCRIPTION OF THE WATSON LIBRARY: The library has a total of 21 staff members including 5 tenure-track faculty employees and 6 library associates. The library has an online catalog and participates in a statewide consortium, LOUIS. The collection includes more than 350,000 bound volumes, over 480,000 government documents, and more than 650,000 microform equivalents. The building, completed and occupied in 1972, consists of three floors with about 94,000 square feet of space.
Northwestern State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy or parenting status, and veteran or retirement status in its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following have been designated to handle inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies (i.e., Title IX):
Employees/Potential Employees – Veronica M. Biscoe, EEO Officer (318-357-6359)
Students – Frances Conine, Dean of Students (318-357-5286)
For Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) concerns, contact the Disability Support and Tutoring Director, Catherine Faucheaux, at 318-357-4460.