Lesley University is looking for a Dean of University Libraries.
The Dean of Lesley University Libraries provides effective administration and leadership of a twenty-first century academic library that supports the dynamic teaching, learning, and research goals of the University. Leading the strategic planning for the library and information services, the Dean plays a major role in integrating existing and developing technologies into the overall fabric of the University. The Dean supervises a staff of 23 professionals, evaluates collections, manages the budget, and offers a variety of high quality programs and services of the library. In collaboration with the faculty, academic administrators, and other university personnel, the Dean develops new and exciting programs that will ensure that students graduate from Lesley University with the information literacy skills required of them to assume impactful employment or successfully pursue advanced degrees. As a member of the Provost’s leadership team, the Dean helps to shape the academic agenda for the University.
- Develops and implements a strong vision for the University Libraries which incorporates expanded use of technology in service of teaching and learning, research, scholarship, creative activity, and service.
- Manages all aspects of the University Libraries (i.e., Sherrill Library, John and Carol Moriarty Art Library, and the Info Commons), including budget, personnel, facilities, technology, policy development, and instruction.
- Creates new programs and initiatives that expands and elevates the central role of the Library in the life of the University.
- Develops, implements, and assesses the Library’s strategic plan, in alignment with the University’s mission, goals and strategic plan.
- Serves as a member of the Provost’s leadership team to provide a strong voice for the Library in all academic matters.
- Leads initiatives to advance information technology across the University.
- Creates a strong partnership with the Episcopal Divinity School (EDS) which fosters a vibrant and inclusive library experience for both communities.
- Assesses library resources and services with an eye toward continuous improvement in the delivery of excellent service to students and faculty.
- Collaborates with leadership and staff from IT, e-Learning and Instructional Support, and Academic Support Services to provide easy access to a variety of services that enhance and facilitate the learning experience.
- Evaluate and integrate existing and emerging technologies into the services and administrative operation of the Library.
- Effectively represents Lesley University to external constituencies (e.g., membership in Fenway Libraries Online and the Fenway Library Consortium).
- Provides effective stewardship of library resources and works with University Advancement and the Grants Office in search of external funding opportunities to enhance library operations and services.
- Supports excellence in library staff development, advocating for librarian and staff professional growth, facilitating team-building activities, and applying inclusive hiring practices to maintain staff diversity.
- Fosters an organizational culture of collegiality, customer service and excellence.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association accredited program; Doctorate or terminal degree in a relevant discipline is preferred.
- Eight (8) years of administrative or managerial experience in an academic library, with increasingly greater responsibility.
- A broad knowledge of the inner-workings of a high-performing academic library.
- Strong managerial skills, with experience leading cross-functional, cross-university teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong technical acumen, including library initiatives that leverage digital resources.
- Demonstrated experience advocating for or leading an information technology unit.
- Demonstrated project management expertise.
- Evidence of the ability to effectively lead change.
- Ability to foster a collegial and collaborative environment among library personnel and the university community.
- A clear vision of the evolving role of an academic library in the 21st century.
- Teaching experience at a college or university is preferred.
- Active membership in professional organization(s) preferred.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States; if you hold a visa, your visa status must allow you to work at Lesley University.
Salary will be commensurate with education, skills and work experience.
BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL POSITIONS
Lesley University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, and is committed to increasing the diversity of the university community and the curriculum. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are encouraged to apply.
A cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references must be included for full consideration.
Applications will be reviewed upon the establishment of an appropriate pool of candidates.