Clinical Informatics Developer
We are looking for a Clinical Informatics Developer to join the Genetics Center’s Clinical Informatics team. The Clinical Informatics (CI) Developer will work with research and clinical customers to improve the end-user query experience, with a focus on phenotypic clinical data and applications. The CI Developer will design, build, test, and maintain query-centric solutions based on the research, clinical, and/or business user requirements. Working with Clinical Informatics and GC staff, the candidate will participate in the development of complex queries from process and requirements analysis through to implementation of the application or system. Most of this work will utilize the GC large-scale data warehouse environment and will focus on activities such as:
– Selection of cohorts defined by specific phenotypic and genotypic features
– Preparation of genotypic and phenotypic datasets for analysis
– Development of distributed, cloud-hosted infrastructure and applications that will facilitate self-service queries and data mining
The individual is responsible for many aspects of the software development lifecycle related to query focused solutions, including: requirements gathering, design, prototyping, testing, implementation, and maintenance of components of applications.
The candidate will be responsible for developing new and enhancing existing systems.
– Work within a team of programmers, database administrators, statisticians, clinical and data scientists to facilitate EMR data extraction, transformation and processing from multiple health system partners.
– Structure data and develop specialized views, algorithms and query tools to access and curate the phenotypic datasets.
– Work with clinical informatics, senior research staff and bioinformatics personnel to understand their needs and processes and implement queries in target systems.
– Build applications and add-on custom functionality by translating high-level user requirements into functional and design specifications for complex queries involving large volumes of phenotypic and Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) data
– Participate in prototyping and functional/ usability testing of applications to help improve user experience
– Work with corporate IT personnel to implement completed systems into production usage. Participate in change control processes as required
Experience and Required Skills:
This position requires a minimum of a BS in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a life science required, and 3-5+ years work experience is strongly preferred. Experience should include:
– Strong SQL writing skills. Must be able to write/ tune complex phenotypic and genotypic data queries
– Familiarity with Data Warehousing concepts (Star Schema, Dimensional Modeling). Ability to interact successfully with database engineering staff to define supporting table structures and views as needed for required query infrastructure.
– Knowledge and use of an ETL/Data Integration toolset, such as SSIS, PowerCenter, Pentaho, or Kettle – Familiarity with Clinical/EMR data standards, coding schemes and ontologies (ICD-9/10, SNOMED, RxNorm, LOINC, CPT) required.
– System administration, operations, and automation. Experience automating the provisioning, administering, monitoring, and testing of distributed systems on the cloud. Exposure to Docker, Chef, Graphite, and Jenkins, and other dev-ops tools preferred
– Use of a database environment (Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Redshift, and/or Postgres) required. Expertise working in a mixed Linux/ Windows preferred.
– 3-4 years of query development experience in pharmaceutical or academic research, biotech, clinical center, or genomics center strongly preferred
– Is an independent worker and proactively seeks to innovate. Demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills required