Office of the Circuit Librarian – Fifth Circuit Library United States Court of Appeals
Job Announcement 2016-1 USCA5LIB
Position Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week
Salary Range: Court Personnel System Classification CL27/28
Full salary range $46,835 to $91,275, depending on experience and qualifications.
Closing Date: Applications will be considered as soon as received, and
will continue to be considered until the position is filled.
Location: New Orleans, LA
– M.L.S. degree or equivalent from an ALA-accredited library school.
– One year of professional law library experience equivalent to work at a CL-27 level.
– Ability to travel as needed.
– Applicant must be a United States citizen or eligible to work for the federal government.
– Using print and electronic sources, performs legal and non-legal research and reference services for judges and their staff and other circuit and district court personnel in New Orleans.
– Provides education and training to court staff on Lexis, Westlaw, the Internet and other research sources; develops training materials, library promotional materials, and research guides.
– Works as a team member in coordinating services with other library staff.
– Performs interlibrary loan and circulation transactions for court personnel.
– Assists with collection development, acquisitions, and inventory control activities for the library.
– Utilizes integrated library system to manage acquisitions, perform serial control and prepare management reports.
– Other duties as assigned.
– Three years law library experience.
– Demonstrated skills in reference and legal research using print and electronic resources.
– Self-motivated individual with ability to prioritize demands from multiple types of library users.
– Experience with an Integrated Library System. SIRSI knowledge is a plus.
– Skill in the use of Windows-based personal computers and basic office applications software.
– Demonstrated ability to teach research strategies with print and electronic resources.
– Aptitude for performing functions requiring a high degree of accuracy and careful attention to detail.
– Experience working with people at all levels; effective oral and written communication skills.
– Ability to perform occasional moderate to heavy physical activity.
Please submit cover letter, resume and salary history to: (email submission is preferred)
U.S. Courts Library
Attn: Brent Hightower
600 Camp St., Room 106
New Orleans, LA 70130 Email: email@example.com
BENEFITS AND OTHER INFORMATION
Federal court employees are not included in the government’s civil service classification. However, they are entitled to the same benefits as other federal employees and some additional benefits. These include: paid annual and sick leave; automatic enrollment in a retirement plan and in direct deposit of earnings; and optional enrollment in health benefits, life insurance, tax-deferred savings, long-term care, and long-term disability programs. Court employees are required to use Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT) for payroll deposit. New selectees are subject to a background check as a condition of employment. The Court does not provide reimbursement for interview-related travel expenses.
The court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement, to withdraw the job announcement, or fill the position, without any prior written or other notice.
Resumes will be screened and only selected applicants will be contacted for interviews.
The Fifth Circuit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.