Job Posting: Head, Digital Library Initiatives
Raleigh, NC USA
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Head, Digital Library Initiatives. Digital Library Initiatives develops and delivers an information environment that significantly advances end-user resource discovery and use of library services. The department has already gained widespread recognition for innovative work in the areas of search and discovery, tools for digital collections access and use, digital preservation, social media, and mobile applications. Newer initiatives focus on areas such as open science, visualization and interactive technologies, and research data services. The Digital Library Initiatives department includes 14 staff across three units: Digital Collections and Repositories; Digital Services Development; and Visualization Services. The Head, Digital Library Initiatives, plays a leadership role in the development of new digital products and services in collaboration with partners across the library and throughout the university.
Leads a service-oriented program that develops, supports, and extends new digital services for the Libraries.
Collaborates with library and campus units, academic computing, faculty, and students in order to foster and integrate new digital library solutions that will shape the future of the university’s information environment.
Works closely with the Libraries’ Information Technology Department to develop and maintain supporting infrastructure.
Collaborates with the Libraries’ Web Team on development of applications and services that meet the needs of a diverse user population.
Ensures effective, sustainable operation of digital services.
Manages the department, including planning, policy, and personnel matters.
Develops departmental goals and objectives, prepares budget requests, and manages budget allocations.
Seeks opportunities for collaboration with peer institutions.
Participates in library planning and policy-making; serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams, including Management Council.
NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
· ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree.
· Minimum 5 years’ relevant professional experience.
· Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
· Evidence of innovation using emerging information technology, coupled with successful project management experience.
· Understanding of and ability to collaborate with various library units and operations in an environment focused on user services.
· Ability to develop concepts from idea to implementation and to inspire an effective team environment.
· Experience with library technologies and technology planning; demonstrated knowledge of current technology trends.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably, orally and in writing.
· Ability to set priorities effectively and resolve competing demands in an atmosphere of fast-paced change.
· Knowledge of research and education; ability to work collaboratively with faculty and students in a university setting.
· Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development.
Demonstrated record as a leader in the digital library field.
Review of applications is underway; position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. See vacancy announcement with application instructions at https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/epa/dli . AA/OEO. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. For ADA accommodations, please call (919) 515-3148.