TEMPORARY RECORDS MANAGEMENT ASSISTANT
FOR WORLD-RENOWNED MUSEUM
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is seeking a part-time Records Management Assistant for a temporary assignment. As a member of the Library and Archives Department, the Records Management Assistant will carry out, under supervision, the annual disposal procedures for documents that are no longer needed for everyday business activities, and do not hold historical, research, or legal value.
Founded in 1937, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is dedicated to promoting the understanding and appreciation of art, primarily of the modern and contemporary periods, through exhibitions, education programs, research initiatives, and publications. The Guggenheim network that began in the 1970s when the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, was joined by the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, Venice, has since expanded to include the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (opened 1997) and the Guggenheim Abu Dhabi (currently in development). Looking to the future, the Guggenheim Foundation continues to forge international collaborations that take contemporary art, architecture, and design beyond the walls of the museum. More information about the foundation can be found at guggenheim.org.
- There are no direct reports associated with this position.
- Creating lists of inactive records based on the Guggenheim Foundation’s records retention policy and schedules.
- Working with each department at the Guggenheim Foundation to confirm which are due to be transferred to offsite storage, and which are due for destruction.
- Working with contractor on disposal of inactive records, in line with confidential destruction practices and once departmental sign-off is received.
- Liaising with storage contractor over transfer of records to be held offsite.
- Updating archives and storage databases according to institutional standards and procedures.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Understanding of the sensitive nature of records in a museum environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- 1 year of work experience in records management in any field – museum or arts background not required.
- Archives database experience. MLS graduate student or recent graduate from an ALA accredited institution preferred.
- Must be able to lift boxes up to 40lbs.
The Guggenheim offers a competitive salary and excellent medical, dental, life, disability, and retirement plan coverage. Our staff also enjoys generous vacation, sick leave and personal days, access to a variety of cultural institutions, discounts to museum stores, and a stimulating and collegial work environment.
Qualified applicants please send your resume and cover letter, including salary expectations, email@example.com. Indicate the job title “Temporary Records Management Assistant” in the subject line.
The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.