Library Technician Youth Services Department
Broadmoor Branch Library
SHREVE MEMORIAL LIBRARY
SUMMARY: Under general supervision, this individual is responsible for a variety of work in the operation of an area of the library system, can function with occasional monitoring of work progress and work quality by the immediate supervisor and performs related work as required.
REQUIRED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. High school diploma or equivalent
2. 30 semester hours of successful college course work
at least two years of paid, full-time customer service experience.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS
Some knowledge of:
1. standard library principles, practices and procedures;
2. electronic and printed materials, resources and databases.
1. make decisions based on established policies as well as common sense;
2. use resourcefulness, tact & courtesy in dealing with library patrons;
3. relate & communicate effectively with other library employees;
4. understand & carry out complex oral & written instructions;
5. type accurately & efficiently & use a computer.
* Primary assignment in the Youth Services Department but will be cross-trained and may assist in other departments as needed.
* Youth Services: performs youth services, consulting with the Youth Services Librarian; conducts or assists with children’s/young adult’s programming and with school visits to the library;
acts as story telling substitute as needed; is responsible for providing weekly story time for ages birth through 2 ½ years; assists with set-up for programs and organizing craft activities; assists with displays in the Youth Services area.
* Information Services: Assists with some reference and readers’ advisory services to patrons; refers adults and children to the proper department when needed; assists patrons in the location of materials, databases, and other library services; places holds for patrons; provides basic computer assistance to patrons.
* Circulation: Charges, discharges, and renews library materials; answers telephone; registers new borrowers, updates registration records, pulls and processes request books; takes interlibrary loan requests.
* Finances: Assesses and collects fines for overdue materials and payment for lost materials from patrons; makes change for patrons; collects payment for printing and faxing.
* Shelving: Empties book drop; assists with filing and sorting; shelves books and materials; straightens books and materials on shelves; reads shelves for proper order; searches for lost books and materials; requires ability to bend, stoop and push heavy book trucks; assists with displays as needed.
* Professional Development: Attends monthly staff meetings; meets monthly with supervisor for work plan meeting; attends other meetings as necessary.
* Other duties as required.
PRESENT SCHEDULE [subject to change without notice]
Monday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Will work some Sundays on a rotational basis.
Applications accepted until position is filled
Two weeks after selection
$10.55/hour + benefits
CONTACT: A Shreve Memorial Library application must be submitted to be considered for a position; applications are available at all SML locations and at the library’s website: http://www.shrevelib.org. Send application to Jennie Paxton, Associate Director for HR, Finance & Administration, Shreve Memorial Library, P.O. Box 21523, Shreveport, LA 71120-1523.
A criminal background check and a drug screening are part of the pre-hire process. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, marital status, non-job related physical or mental disability, veterans’ status, sexual orientation or gender identity. Our facilities are non-smoking facilities.