Job Title: LIBRARY SPECIALIST 3
Agency: University of LA – Lafayette
Opening Date: Fri. 06/28/13
Closing Date/Time: Wed. 07/03/13 11:59 PM Central Time
State Salary Range: $10.86 – $22.86 hourly
$868.62 – $1,828.62 biweekly
$1,882.00 – $3,962.00 monthly
$22,584.00 – $47,544.00 annually
Agency Hiring Range: Min: Max:
Job Type: Classified
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
- Function of Work: To perform highly-specialized technical tasks that facilitate the organization and management of information sources; or to function as an assistant supervisor within a department.
- Level of Work: Advanced.
- Supervision Received: Broad from Library Specialist Supervisor, Librarian, or other management personnel.
- Supervision Exercised: May exercise direct or functional supervision over lower level Library Specialists, students, and volunteers.
- Location of Work: May be used by all state agencies.
- Job Distinctions: Differs from Library Specialist 2 by the presence of advanced journeyman-complex/quasi-supervisor responsibilities; Differs from Library Specialist Supervisor by the absence of management responsibility in units/departments lacking a full-time Librarian and/or direct supervisory duties.
Examples of Work
- Performs highly specialized library duties such as microfilming, preservation, archival processing, etc.
- Provides detailed information on library services and answers questions from library patrons. Instruct patrons in the use of library systems, print/electronic indexes, Internet resources, etc.
- Resolves highly complex problems related to the use of bibliographic records (i.e., complicated serial title changes, special languages and/or formats, etc.).
- Coordinates bindery or restoration and repair activities for a library. Solves bindery problems and determines from guidelines the appropriate style or alternative treatment of materials.
- Edits problematic bibliographic entries for libraries online automated system using accepted library standards and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy and consistency of information in databases.
- Maintains a working knowledge of and operates microcomputer word processing/database/spreadsheet packages, etc., to produce printed material as required.
- May determine work priorities of assigned staff, set deadlines, evaluate staff performance, and develop staff training manuals.
- Responsible for the productivity and quality of subordinates work performance.
- May assist in the interview and selection of new employees, conduct orientation and training activities, approve annual and sick leave, or resolve problems when necessary.
- Recommends and implements changes in library policies and procedures.
- Assists in planning and conducting training programs or workshops, both internally and externally.
- Serves on standing and ad hoc committees.
- Performs related work as required by circumstances or as directed.