Reports to: Assistant Director
Supervises: Circulation Assistants, Custodian
Classification: LTA II
This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
In addition to the routine tasks performed by all staff members, specific duties of the Circulation Supervisor include, but are not limited to:
* Schedule, supervise and counsel branch staff, substitute staff, and volunteers.
* Prepare monthly reports and employee time sheets.
* Provide assistance to patrons at the circulation desk and throughout the library.
* Effectively convey, enforce and follow all library policies.
* Conduct tours and class visits.
* Coordinate displays and exhibits.
* Train staff in the library’s procedures, policies, services, and resources.
* Prepare performance evaluations.
* Schedule patrons’ use of meeting rooms.
* Plan branch programming activities.
* Order and display income tax materials annually.
* Receive and make available documents for public review.
* Count and record daily monies received.
* Maintain an attractive, inviting atmosphere in the library.
* Deals with behavioral issues that may disrupt normal use or operation of the library. Assists with maintenance of building security. For example: enforcing library policies for patron behavior; participating in disaster and emergency procedures; completing incident reports and calling police or other official assistance, when necessary.
* Attend training courses and undertake special training activities as directed.
* Serve on system-wide library committees.
* Maintain files and records of branch operation.
* Assist in the hiring of new personnel.
* Assist in annual budget recommendations.
* Confer regularly with Assistant Director on topics of branch management.
* Undertake special assignments as directed.
* Work cooperatively and in professional harmony with staff members, administrators, and the community.
* Follow all library policies and procedures.
* Perform other duties and assignments as required.
Education, Experience, and Training
* State approved or accredited high school diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or High School Equivalency Diploma.
* Two years of college or special skills and extensive experience.
* Four year college degree.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
In addition to the knowledge, skills and abilities required of a Circulation Assistant, this position will require:
* Knowledge of library policies and procedures. Ability to provide courteous public service and present clear explanations of established policies and procedures. Ability to think and act appropriately under pressure.
* Knowledge of Dewey decimal system and other methods by which we arrange and access materials.
* Proficiency in using library automation system and online databases.
* Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite or other open source office programs, the Cloud, social media, tablets, e-readers and smartphone devices including the ability to find and download applications from app stores on multiple devices.
* Familiarity with Overdrive, Hoopla, Flipster and other library products and services.
* Ability to create flyers, documents, spreadsheets and assist others in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and the Internet.
* Ability to plan and organize library programs and activities.
* Ability and willingness to learn and use new software and services.
* Experience teaching/training.
* Supervisory experience.
* Good oral/written communication skills.
Hours and Working Conditions
* Regular work schedule may vary depending on the needs of the branch.
* Must be able to lift and or transport objects weighing up to 40 pounds; push or pull carts loaded with materials weighing more than 150 pounds.
* Must be able to place books and other materials in proper alpha-numeric order on shelves at various heights, ranging from floor level up to 84” high. May need to use step stool.
* Must be able to perform jobs in areas where seating cannot be provided.
* Must be able to work in book stack areas where there is exposure to dust, newsprint, etc.
Submit resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com by 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 6, 2015.
St Charles Parish Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer