The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Library seeks an outgoing librarian for the position of Reference and Outreach Librarian. The University and the Library have strong commitments to outreach and service to the state of Arkansas, with an increasing emphasis on outreach as a hallmark of these institutions. We are looking for a flexible team player capable of leading a multi-department outreach team. This librarian must have a positive attitude toward service and a strong ability to connect with people in a genuine manner.
Founded in 1879, UAMS is the only academic health sciences center in Arkansas. The UAMS Library supports the education, clinical, research, and outreach activities of six colleges (Graduate School, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health), a comprehensive medical center, and several institutes of excellence. The UAMS Library serves the health information needs of the citizens in Pulaski County and provides support to the rest of the state through a nationally renowned network of Regional Center Libraries (formerly AHECs). This Library also serves as the only resource library in the state for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine.
Faculty, staff, and students work and study in a stimulating and culturally diverse environment. Information on the beautiful, vibrant city of Little Rock can be found at http://www.littlerock.com/.
EDUCATION & REFERENCE SERVICES (E&RS)
The E&RS faculty is a team of five librarians directly reporting to the Head of Education and Reference Services. This faculty reference position participates in coverage of daily reference activities including providing one-on-one end user education, teaching classes, answering reference questions, and providing assistance with basic literature searching. This librarian coordinates the off-campus outreach activities of the Library and works closely with other members of reference to support the educational, research, and clinical information needs of an academic health sciences center.
All reference librarians participate as active members of the Library’s Liaison Team acting as liaison to departments, programs or colleges as assigned. They also serve on library, university, professional and/or public service committees and contribute to the departmental and the Library’s strategic planning processes.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE REFERENCE AND OUTREACH LIBRARIAN:
- Leads the Library’s Outreach Team and coordinates regular meetings as needed;
- Coordinates outreach activities off campus, including the development and implementation of programs to serve the health information needs of Arkansas health professionals, librarians and citizens;
- Develops outreach goals with the Director of Library Operations and Head of Education & Reference Services;
- Prepares proposals for NN/LM SCR Request for Proposals for each outreach contract period;
- Coordinates outreach activities to meet all NN/LM SCR outreach subcontract requirements including:
- Providing instruction in NLM and UAMS Library resources to citizens of Arkansas;
- Teaching classes, as requested, for target groups identified in the NN/LM
- Subcontract which include but are not limited to searching PubMed, use of Loansome Doc and other National Library of Medicine databases and resources;
- Exhibiting at professional conferences and health fairs locally and throughout Arkansas;
- Completing NN/LM reports for outreach activities (quarterly and as needed);
- Attending outreach sessions at regional and national meetings whenever possible;
- Contributes to the professional network of health sciences librarians in Arkansas through awareness activities, sharing of information and consultations as needed;
- Identifies additional outreach-related funding for collaborative projects with health-related organizations and public libraries in Arkansas;
- Travels, as needed, within the state of Arkansas to conduct outreach activities;
- Tracks and prepares outreach and individual reference statistics;
- Maintains current information for the Outreach-related webpages in collaboration with the Marketing Librarian and the Library Web Services Manager;
- Provides technical expertise and instruction on web tools and software to library staff;
- Stays informed regarding trends in library outreach, reference, web and mobile technologies;
- Assists with any special projects related to outreach activities as requested by the Director of Library Operations and/or the Head of Education and Reference Services.
- Provides coverage of reference services to UAMS faculty, students, and staff via traditional and emerging technologies including providing one-on-one end user education and other classes, answering reference questions, providing assistance with database usage, and performing minor troubleshooting of public computer problems.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- A minimum of one year of professional experience in public services in a health sciences or academic library or significant work or internship experience in health sciences librarianship
- Ability to work well independently, as part of a team, and as the leader of a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to make clear, concise presentations in a professional manner
- Experience searching and teaching consumer health resources, MEDLINE, and other biomedical/health-related databases
- Strong computer skills and experience with various online environments including mobile technologies
- Commitment to professional development and participation in professional activities
- Commitment to providing high-quality customer service
- Valid driver’s license
- Willingness and ability to lift and move equipment, exhibiting materials etc.
- Two or more years providing NN/LM-funded outreach services
- Experience in an academic medical center and/or life sciences background
- Experience teaching biomedical databases and/or consumer health resources
- Experience writing grants and proposals
POSITION BENEFITS & APPLICATION INFORMATION
Minimum salary is $42,000, commensurate with education and experience. This is a 12-month, non-tenure track faculty appointment with a competitive benefits package with 22 days of vacation, 11 holidays, and 12 days sick leave annually, and retirement plan options including TIAA/CREF and Fidelity.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. Priority will be given to applications received by November 3, 2014. Please email a letter of application, curriculum vita, and names of 3 professional references (with full contact information) to:
Susan Steelman, MLIS
Head of Education & Reference Services
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Library
Electronic submissions are required.
UAMS is an inclusive Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals
with disabilities and protected veterans.