Subject: Job Posting: Assistant Director, Collection Development, Nova Southeastern University, Ft. Lauderdale, FL (USA)
Nova Southeastern University, Alvin Sherman Library, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, has an employment opportunity for Assistant Director of Collection Development within the Technical Services Department.
For posting information or to apply please see:
Southeast Florida offers outstanding libraries, world-class arts and museums, stunning beaches, cruising from two major international ports, fine dining, year-round outdoor sports and recreation. Located in temperate Fort Lauderdale, Nova Southeastern University (one of the nation’s largest private universities serving 24,000 students) has its 325,000 square foot Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center.
This state-of-the-art library includes 23 study rooms, a collaborative study room accommodating 75 students, service areas for children and young adults, seats to accommodate 1,000 users, WiFi throughout the building, and shelving capacity for 1.4 million volumes.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Thorough knowledge and understanding of library principles, practices and techniques.
2. Thorough knowledge of current technologies.
3. Demonstrated ability to express ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
4. Advanced organization and problem solving skills.
5. Ability to work both independently and without direct supervision as well as in a team environment.
6. Thorough knowledge of general community needs and interests in relation to library services in the areas of specialization.
7. Thorough knowledge of resources and delivery of services.
8. Demonstrated leadership ability shown by successful management of small teams, committees, projects and bringing them to successful conclusion.
9. Continued professional and educational development through ongoing continuing education that will assist in maintaining status as an expert in a specialization of work related field.
10. Demonstrated professional growth, including participation and contributions to the profession to include actively participating in a leadership role in professional organizations at a local, regional or national level; presentations given at regional and national conferences and programs; published articles and research in peer reviewed or scholarly publications.
1. Masters of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school.
2. Minimum of five (5) years’ experience as professional librarian, including two years of experience in collection development.
3. Two (2) years of supervisory experience.
4. Experience working collegially with faculty to develop collections.
5. Experience working with contracts with vendors of electronic resources.
6. Experience involving budgets and reporting statistical data.
The award-winning Nova Southeastern University campus is the home for a modern law and health professions libraries. The NSU Libraries are well known for their excellent service orientation. The joint-use library offers many uncommon opportunities to make a difference in the design and delivery of services for both academic and public users. NSU is well known as an excellent employer. Find out more about NSU at http://www.nova.edu.