THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE LIBRARIES
Digital Projects Librarian
Appointment Rank: Assistant Professor
Immediate Supervisor: Associate Dean for Research & Scholarly Communication
Salary: minimum $50,000
Available: June 1, 2016, or earlier if search is completed
The Digital Projects Librarian supports the UT Libraries mission by helping to digitally deliver valuable and unique scholarly and cultural heritage materials to the broadest audience.
The position provides leadership in the capture, delivery, and preservation of high quality, accessible, and user-friendly digital collections. The Librarian establishes and assures adherence to standards and best practices for digitization of text, image, and audiovisual materials. This position is responsible for establishing, maintaining, and assessing digital production workflows within the Digital Production unit. The Digital Projects Librarian supervises staff in Digital Production and works collaboratively with colleagues in the Digital Library Program.
· Directs the daily operations of the Digital Production unit
· Oversees projects and staff in the areas of imaging, post-processing, quality control, optical character recognition, text markup, structural and technical metadata, audiovisual conversation/reformatting, and file management
· Coordinates and schedules time-sensitive digital projects, as well as ad hoc requests and ongoing digitization initiatives
· Establishes digitization benchmarks and ensures high quality output
· Selects and maintains specialized equipment, software, and resources for digitization, reformatting, and conversion
· In conjunction with Digital Initiatives, ingests digital collections into the digital asset management system for preservation and delivery
· Supervises and trains staff and student library assistants in the unit
· Works collaboratively with colleagues in Digital Initiatives, Special Collections, and Cataloging in support of the Digital Library Program
· Keeps current with the latest developments in imaging, multimedia conversion, indexing, and text markup and serves as a resource to others
· Serves the library profession through involvement in professional organizations and through cooperative efforts with other information professionals
· Engages in scholarly activity through publications and presentations
· Masters degree from an ALA-accredited program
· Excellent organizational and communication skills and demonstrated ability to handle and document complex analytical and detailed work
· Experience working with scanning equipment such as flatbed, sheet fed, and large format overhead scanners
· Experience manipulating and processing digital images
· Knowledge and understanding of the standards needed to manage digitization activities including capture, post-processing, OCR, quality control, and preservation
· Ability to work independently as well as collegially in a diverse and collaborative team environment
· Evidence of ability to engage in research, publication, and service consonant with University and Libraries guidelines for tenure and promotion
· Successful supervisory experience
· Experience working with multimedia and/or digital photography
· Familiarity with library digital repository or asset management systems
· Experience drafting, maintaining, and applying documentation and policies for digital projects
· Ability to work in multiple operating systems, including Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, and Linux
· Familiarity with XML, particularly TEI
· Experience with one or more scripting languages, for example, PERL, PHP, or Ruby
· Familiarity with version control system such as GIT
· Experience delivering training or instruction
The University of Tennessee Libraries serves the flagship campus of the state university system. The UT Libraries supports the teaching, research, and service mission of the university and enhances the academic experience of each student at the Knoxville campus — through outstanding print and electronic collections, reference and instructional services, and top-notch facilities and technological resources.
The UT Libraries serves as an intellectual, cultural, and social center for the university and community. We are a national leader in the creation of regionally significant digital collections; in support of open access though our digital repository Trace; and through a rich history of designing innovative spaces and building key partnerships that enhance the teaching/learning enterprise. The University of Tennessee Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Digital Library Federation, Lyrasis, and the Center for Research Libraries. The UT Libraries collaborates actively at the state level with the other UT System Libraries as well as the libraries in the Tennessee Board of Regents system.
The University of Tennessee is committed to creating a welcoming environment. More information about how we continually strive to put our principles of civility and community into action here in Knoxville is available athttp://www.utk.edu/diversity/.
Additional information about this position and the UT community is available athttp://www.lib.utk.edu/employment/digital-projects-librarian.
Excellent benefits include 24 annual leave days; choice of state retirement plan or ORP (VOYA/ING, TIAA/CREF, VALIC) with nonrefundable contributions paid for the employee by the University; optional group health and life insurance plans. Tuition remission is available for all university employees and partial undergraduate tuition remission is available to dependent children and spouses of UT employees. Faculty rank and status; twelve-month, tenure-track appointment.
A background check and official transcripts are required prior to hiring. Send cover letter addressing the above qualifications, a current resume or CV, and the names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of three recent references to: Elizabeth Greene, Manager, Library Dean’s Office and Human Resources, 1015 Volunteer Blvd., Knoxville, TN 37996-1000. Application materials may be sent via email attachment email@example.com. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply. Review of applications will begin January 15, 2016, and will continue until the position is filled.